Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Magic Words

Magic has quite a rich history which includes different words that have been said to “invoke” magic happening. There has been much study in magic’s history by its scholars as to where magic words originated, who originated them, etc. It’s interesting from a historical perspective. As a professional magician, I find such historical reports fascinating. Some magic words have a rich history, other magic words are completely made up and non-sensical.


On another hand, the words “Please” and “Thank You” in the English language are often taught to children as the magic words. By saying these words, we teach our children to be polite and respectful. They, in turn, learn that with the right attitude and politeness they can often get exactly what they are requesting. Magic words, indeed!

Currently, I’m entertaining nightly on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. I have found that the magic words that work best for me are, “I’m the magician!” I find it funny how these specific words allow me to do many things. For instance, when I first got on the ship, before the crew knew me and recognized me, I would be walking through a “crew” area and would have crew members direct me back toward to the main areas of the ship. By saying the magic words, “I’m the magician”, they immediately knew it was okay for me to be there and let me go about my business. Every time I have to go through customs, my magic words, gain me nods and looks of acknowledgement as they look over my passport. When I’m just walking around the ship, after I have performed, I often get people looking at me as if they aren’t sure how they know me, but they are sure that they know me from somewhere. My magic words set them at ease and give us something to talk about.

Off the ship, I have been part of numerous touring productions. For some strange reason, our battle cry has always been, “We’re the magicians!” For some strange reason, when I/we say that with authority, people just tend to let me do whatever it is that I want to. Go figure.

Maybe these magic words will work for you, too. Give them a shot. Just be sure that if you decide to use them, you can actually back up your claim of being a magician:) Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment