Friday, November 26, 2010

Listening to the Audience

I find myself interested in comparing notes with other entertainers. Specifically, I am truly fascinated with a performer’s choice to edit themselves and their show while that show is going on. You may ask yourself why an entertainer would choose to edit themselves during their show. Well, this isn’t common practice. Typically, only the most experienced entertainers do this. The most common reason I find for it is that the audience is responding to certain routines and parts of their scripts early in the show. The audience’s responses early in the show lead the performer to edit the show as it goes on and select material that he or she believes will be the most effective. Editing the show or the lines they choose to deliver is done to optimize the entertainment experience. This sounds a bit too theoretical, let’s talk specifics.

I pay very close attention to the audience before I take the stage and then as the show goes on, as well. I am trying to get a feel for the energy they are giving off and how they react to certain magic. For instance, I was recently performing and got to the part of the show where I had my razor blade swallowing routine planned. As I thought about what I had planned, I looked out at the audience and saw mostly families. The room was full of moms, dads and young people. They were laughing at all the right jokes and having fun watching a lighthearted magic show. I realized that the razor blade routine that I had planned was a dark, moody piece that would totally change the energy of the room. While the razor blade routine is a perfect piece to perform in a theatrical show for a theatre crowd, it didn’t feel right for this room. So I substituted a much less theatrical routine, The Linking Rings, in its place. The way I perform the rings gets an audience member involved and makes them the center of a fun, laugh filled few minutes. It turned out to be the perfect choice. I selected a young man who had the perfect temperament and knew how to play to the crowd. He was a massive hit and he received a huge ovation for coming up onstage and giving the audience exactly what they wanted, to laugh and have fun.

So, why do I bring this up? I guess my point in writing this blog article is to say that I believe good entertainers listen closely to their audiences. It’s important to keep in mind who the audience is made up of and why they are watching the show. Instead of performing material that the entertainer may want to perform, he or she should perform material that will best fit the situation. Think about it. If you were hiring an entertainer to come in and entertain your family, friends, or coworkers, wouldn’t you want that person to pay close attention to how everyone is reacting and edit their show to maximize their responses and the entertainment experience? I know I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment